Faculty Members TANAKA Takamitsu
- [Master's Program] Design and Media Technology [Doctoral Program] Design and Media Technology
Fields of Research
- Product Design
- Kobe Design University Faculty of Art and Technology Dept.of Product design, Mar. 1993
- Central St Martins College of Art and Design, School of Graphics and industrial design MA Industrial Design, Jun. 1996
- Chiba University Graduate School, Division of National Science and Technology Human Environment Design Science, Mar. 2004
- TANAKA DESIGN OFFICE LTD. ,1 Jul. 1996 - 31 May. 2004
- Iwate University Faculty of Education Arts and Crafts ,Associate Professor ,1 Jun. 2004 - 31 Mar. 2007
- Iwate University Faculty of Education Arts and Crafts , Professor ,1 April 2011~31 March 2016
- Iwate University Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Department of Human Sciences and Cultural Studies,1 April 2016~
- Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Visiting Professor, 1 Dec. 2014 -
- National Kaohsiung Normal University (Taiwan), 14 Apr. 2016 -
Product Planning and Design Studies Using Local Traditional Crafts and Techniques
We advance research in fine arts and engineering fields on the application of, for example, the “splicing” technique of joining two pieces of wood without using nails in teaching materials for elementary school arithmetic lessons on calculating volume, or in new types of interlocking wooden toys, or in smartphone puzzle applications. We also develop products for young people using the local special product of amber, and design Nambu ironware for exports to the US and Europe. We commercialize these design developments and turn them into a more logical design methodology.
We seek the true essence of design not only through the artistry and technology of design, but by getting to the heart of human and environmental issues. We pursue a social role for design through a combination of theory and practice.