Objectives of Undergraduate Courses
Science and engineering education to foster creativity and a globalized skillset
Iwate University, an educational institution to investigate the truth, fosters the development of high-level expertise and broad knowledge, creating cultural and academic research fields. The Faculty of Science and Engineering educates students who have 1) a basic understanding of science, engineering, and ethics, 2) problem-solving skills and high-level expertise in science and engineering, and 3) the ability to collaborate with local and international society and contribute to social development.
- We offer an extensive study of science and engineering to understand the role of technology in society and to develop broad-based knowledge and ability.
- To acquire a thorough knowledge of science and engineering, we offer links between high schools and the university. We test students’ abilities and form classes based on their proficiency.
- To develop students’ abilities to search, analyze, and solve problems, we offer PBL courses, experiments and exercises, graduate research, and an electronic portfolio system.
- We set our curriculum systematically. Students will learn specialized subjects following the curriculum.
- In order to cultivate international communication skills, we offer a curriculum for continuous English studies, e-learning, TOEIC tests, and opportunities for overseas training.
- To foster professionalism and social skills, we offer internships and career consultation.
Strengthen the research environment to promote innovation and entrepreneurship
The Faculty of Science and Engineering conducts research on fundamental aspects as well as applications. We aim to nurture local as well as global perspectives while fostering the coexistence of human society and the natural environment. A new approach or new research field will be found by conducting fundamental and applied research together. Furthermore, we will commercialize our research to fulfil local and global needs.
- We promote large-scale research projects in collaboration with industry and the government.
- We are actively engaged in joint research with various private companies.
- Our research accomplishments are presented in domestic and international conferences and published in scientific journals and media.
- We apply for patents on our research fruits to protect the university’s intellectual property.
- We are developing new products and new venture companies through collaboration with industry and government.
Creation of people, knowledge, and employment for regional development and solutions for regional issues as well as global concerns
The Faculty of Science and Engineering contributes to regional and international society through the fruits of our education and research. We actively study issues related to the environment, welfare, and lifelong learning society. We also contribute to industrial development through collaboration between industry, government, and the private sector.
We also foster experts who can make meaningful contributions towards helping our society recover from the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- We have signed mutual friendship and cooperation agreements with 13 cities in Iwate Prefecture to support local industrial development.
- We are working on regional issues such as the creation of a research and development center on casting technology and the practical application of support robots for the fisheries industry.
- We actively communicate with universities and research institutes abroad. (Number of exchange agreements with other faculties: 7 countries/regions, 14 institutions *as of April 2022)
- We conduct educational and research enlightenment activities related to science and technology by holding open lectures, public lectures, visiting lectures, and exhibitions.