Faculty Members NAKAZAKI Atsuo
- Doctorate (Engineering) Field of degree: Chemistry
Fields of Research
- Synthetic organic chemistry
- Natural products chemistry
- March 2001: Completed Chemical Engineering Major, Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- April 2001 - March 2003: Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- April 2003 - March 2009: Assistant Professor, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science
- April 2009 - March 2021: Associate Professor, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University
- April 2021 - Present: Professor, Chemistry, Department of Chemistry and Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Iwate University
Research on natural products leading to human health and preservation of the global environment
Natural products are highly functionalized molecules selected in the process of survival competition and evolution of life. However, most of the natural products are obtained in very small amounts from nature. Therefore, in order to utilize them, it is necessary to synthesize them (total synthesis) by using multi-step organic reactions. Our group aims to develop efficient synthetic methods for natural products and their artificial analogues, and to elucidate their mechanisms of action, thereby contributing to human health and the preservation of the global environment by using natural products.
Based on the knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry and the acquisition of experimental techniques,we aim to develop human resources who can synthesize various types of organic compounds including natural products. We are also working to develop human resources with a broad perspective who can play an active role in the border areas of chemistry and biology, as well as overseas.